Thursday, December 27, 2012

Which Leper are you?

I'm loving the New Testament lately, there is so much to be learned from the stories of Christ's earthly ministry.  I have been thinking quite a bit about the story of the 10 Lepers.  Theirs is one we are all familiar with, but may not entirely appreciate.  I know I didn't.  As I pondered what was to be learned from these 10 men, I thought of my own 'leprosy,' if you will.  Each of us has those spiritual ailments which we cannot heal on our own.  However, through our the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ, we can, as the lepers, be healed.  How we are healed is another conversation entirely, but today I want to talk about what happens after the healing.  Which leper are we going to be?  Are we the 9 who perhaps were grateful to be healed but chose to go on their way?  Or are we the one who showed that gratitude by turning back and falling to his knees.  This act of gratitude enabled His Lord to bless him further.  Not only was he healed, but he was made whole.  Complete.  Without blemish.  His was the greater reward because he chose to acknowledge what the Lord had done for him.  So often we ask for blessings and forget to give thanks to the One from whom those blessings flow.  The two most powerful words in the English language are, "thank you."  I hope that each of us will remember to turn back and glorify the God who gives us good gifts.  Gifts of healing, peace, and joy.  As we follow the example of the one leper - as we turn back in gratitude and follow steadfastly from that point on - we too will be made whole and gain salvation and eternal life with a loving Heavenly Father and our Savior - the givers of good gifts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment