Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Parable of Peter

I think we can all relate a little to Peter on that dark stormy night out at sea.  It had been a long day, but a good one.  Serving with Christ as He fed the 5,000 on a mere 5 loaves and 2 fishes.  What a beautiful miracle.  He had seen Christ perform many.  And not even a day later, his peaceful day of being fed in (all senses of the word), there he was on a wind tossed sea.  It was late and someone called out, "Be not afraid."  With recognition Peter called out, "Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee  on the water."  "Come" was the reply.  It took one simple word and Peter stepped out onto the windy water.  His almost perfect faith allowed him to WALK ON WATER!  He did it! 

And then comes the relatable part... "when  he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid"  Peter started sinking.  How many of us after accomplishing something great begin to doubt ourselves?  We allow fear or inadequacy to cause us to sink?  I know I have.  I think I can understand what Peter felt as he sank in that dark stormy water.  He probably felt panic, maybe started to beat himself up for failing.  But he had two options.  Sink into the depths, or reach up.  Beautifully, Peter chose the latter.  "He cried, saying, Lord, save me. And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him." 

In those moments of despair, we have 2 options.  And they are the same as Peter's.  Sink, or turn to the Savior.  The miracle of this story may be that Peter walked on water, but the even bigger miracle is that he did it again.  I love verse 32 of Matthew 14, "And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased."  How do you think Peter got back to the ship?  Do you think Christ dragged him along in the water?  I don't.  I am confident believing that Peter walked on water a second time, hand in hand with his Savior.  I know that sometimes we fall, but Jesus Christ is right there, within arms reach.  All we have to do is cry out, "Lord, save me."  He will never let us suffer a second longer than we need to grow.  And just like Peter, He will help us back to safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment