Thursday, July 26, 2012

How to be Happy - Have joy

I've been thinking a lot lately about being happy.  What does it mean to be happy?  What makes us happy?  And what is the difference between being happy and having joy.  Because there is a difference.  Being the word lover that I am, I took the liberty of looking up "joy."  Joy defined by Merriam-Webster is a source of happiness.  So basically we're happy because we have joy.  In the Book of Mormon we hear a lot of talk about having a fullness of joy.  So, that changed my question a little.  What does it mean to have joy and how do we get it?  In Helaman 3:35 we read that the people fast and pray growing stonger in their faith.  They recieve a fullness of joy because of their yielding their hearts to God.  So I guess my answer is we find joy when we yield our hearts to God.  All God desires for us is to find joy and return to Him.  The two are conditional upon each other.  Joy comes by living our lives in accordance with the commandments of God.  When we are living the commandments, we qualify ourselves to return to live with Him.  To live with Him is to have joy eternally.  I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who has given us the Book of Mormon.  It contains all we need to know about happiness, joy, and how and where to get the two.  I know the Book of Mormon is true.  All good things come from God, and the Book of Mormon is indeed good!  Find out for yourself by getting your own copy.  It will change your life if you let it.  It has changed mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment